open office freeze

John lists at reiteration.net
Mon Feb 28 00:54:43 GMT 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:25:49 -0500 (EST), kalin mintchev wrote
> hi all...
>
> i've been waiting for long time to start using open office....
>  tested it a long time ago on linux but didn't have enough patience
> to install it on my freebsd laptop.
>
> well finally - after 4 - 5 hours build of java ports and 12 hours
> (on a
> 2.2ghz laptop!?!?) of build of the oo-1.1 port i got it installed.
> the setup program went without any issues.
>
> then oo starts fine but when i try to do a new document - any kind -
> it freezes so bad that even after the machine is synched and ready
> to go down it won't let go and i have to pull the plug.... it
> happens when i try to create a new document. i tried the other menus
> and they were all fine. i start it as my user - not as root...
>
> there isn't anything in the logs and as far is i can see there are no
> cores dumped....
>
> now i'm not sure what to do to make this install usable....
>
> machine is a 2.2 ghz thinkpad, freebsd 5.3, jdk 1.4.2, Xorg and sawfish..
>
> what now?
>
> thanks...

Hmm. I built from the port as well, but I excluded java on the make command
line. There was an optimizations flag and I turned that on as well.

How much memory have you? I'm running 768MB with an athalon 1GHz machine.
Do any other java apps work?
lists at reiteration.net