Interjet requires warm reboot from 5.x boot loader?

Royce Williams royce.williams at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 20:43:01 GMT 2005

When warm/cold booting an Interjet under FreeBSD 5.2.1 or 5.3 (vanilla
installs), kernel loading fails.  The only workaround I've figured out
so far is to reboot from the boot loader "OK" prompt, as shown below.

I'm not skilled in the hardware troubleshooting arena, so I'm stumped.
I've searched for others with this problem, and they seem to be clearly
related to things like booting from bad floppies, etc -- but my
instinct is that this would mean that booting would always fail.  Also,
I can warm boot without power-cycling (with shutdown, for example) and
I get the same error until I reboot from OK.

I thought that it might be some kind of hard-drive spin-up or delay
issue, but I haven't been able to locate anything in the loader configs
to create a delay to test this theory.

Unfortunately, since cold-booting always fails, this makes the boxes
unusable every time they take a power hit or reboot for some other
reason.

[example session starts]
Console: serial port
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS 639kB/7168kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com, Mon Feb 23 18:35:51 GMT 2004)
/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x45da18
elf32_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x45da18
elf32_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x45da18
elf32_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
Unable to load a kernel!
-
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x45da18
elf32_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
can't load 'kernel'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
OK reboot
Rebooting...
Console: serial port
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS 639kB/64512kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com, Mon Feb 23 18:35:51 GMT 2004)
/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x45da18 data=0x79550+0x47a2c
syms=[0x4+0x57fa0+0x4+0x6a496]
/boot/kernel/snd_pcm.ko text=0x14d90 data=0x2634+0x10b8
syms=[0x4+0x2d00+0x4+0x3196]
/boot/kernel/snd_sbc.ko text=0x284c data=0x2cc+0x4
syms=[0x4+0x860+0x4+0x894]

 ZDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
 3                                         3
 3                                         3              ,        ,
 3          Welcome to FreeBSD!            3             \ \___   / |

[snip]

Can anyone kick me in the right direction?

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                - IP Engineering, ACS
personal: [first]@alaska.net                  - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531