WRITE_DMA errors on SATA drive under 5.3-RELEASE

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 27 16:19:34 GMT 2005

cpghost at cordula.ws writes:

> Theoretically, one could use 'fsdb -r' in a scripted manner, to
> generate a mapping of file names to blocks (relative to the partition
> of the file system you are mapping). Once you have the blocks, you'll
> need to do so artithmetics to map those blocks to LBA address ranges
> (perhaps via GEOM or using data in disklabels). Finally, you'll have
> to locate the range for a particular LBA address and work backwards
> up to the inode #, and then to the filename(s) that link to that inode.

Sounds complicated.  Surely I'm not the first person to wish for such a
utility ... in UNIXland, there seems to be a command for just about
every conceivable purpose (?).

> Perhaps there's already a system utility or port for this? It would be
> really useful!

I'm mainly worried about exactly what the system was trying to write at
the time.  It's not clear from the message whether the write succeeded
or not.

--
Anthony