ntpd core dump

Richard Danter richard.danter at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 25 19:44:47 GMT 2005

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Richard Danter <richard.danter at ntlworld.com> writes:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I have 5.3-RELEASE installed. I'm trying to run ntpd but I get a
>>message in /var/log/messages that it exited on signal 11 (core dumped).
>>
>>Is there a known problem with this version or is there somethig wrong
>>with my config file (below)? This file is based on one I use on a
>>Linux host with no problems.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Rich
>>
>>--
>>
>>server  ntp.maths.tcd.ie
>>server  bear.zoo.bt.co.uk
>>server  ntp.cis.strath.ac.uk
>>
>>server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
>>fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
>>
>>broadcastdelay  0.008
>>restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap
>

> Hard to say.  Try subsets of that config file in order to isolate a
> portion of the file that produces the problem.

Thanks Lowell, I tried commenting out everything and then adding in 1
line at a time. Turns out it is a problem with the very first server in
the list. If I remove it then ntpd starts perfectly.

This is rather odd as I still have a Linux box using the original file
with no problems. It is also add that the result is a core dump rather
than a nice error message in the syslog. But such is life.

Thanks again,
Rich