Fwd: Is Yahoo! moving from FreeBSD?

Daniel bdaniel7 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 12:51:32 GMT 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:10:57 +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> > well, if a big company pays for support, those money would allow
> > FreeBSD to have some more people (developers or not) focus on giving
> > the support (fixing/answering) while the developers do their job...i
> > believe this is quite natural course of action
>
> Paying for support would rapidly generate a conflict of interest, in
> that it would encourage the production of buggy software in order to
> increase support revenues (the only revenues the software generates).

my scenario was this: i'm a big company and i use FreeBSD coz it
suites best for my needs; let's say among others that my/a programming
team  built something on top of it ;
because i want the system to work as flawless as possible i pay a
monthly fee for support - say some 4 to 6 figures of dollars; would i
care what you do with the money? i think not; i'm only interested that
you'll be there (in place) whenever i need, whenever i get some freaky
error....

the more companies will pay, FreeBSD will have some more guys for
support and some more guys for developing...
this may be a rather crude view but it could serve as a starting point...

Dan