Directory not empty

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Feb 25 03:20:34 GMT 2005

In the last episode (Feb 25), T.F. Cheng said:
> yeah, it's weird. I found that I can rename it (to tmp) then I tried
> to del it:
> > rm -fr tmp
> rm: tmp/qt-x11-free-3.3.4/doc: Directory not empty
> rm: tmp/qt-x11-free-3.3.4/src: Directory not empty

Do you use softupdates, and did your system happen to crash after a
portupgrade?  I bet if you cd into tmp/qt-x11-free-3.3.4/doc and run ls
-la, you'll see something like:

$ ls -la
total 2
drwx------  4 dan  dan  512 Feb 22 11:00 ./
drwxr-xr-x  3 dan  dan  512 Feb 22 11:00 ../

The "." entry should have 2 links in an empty directory (one here, and
one in the parent directory).  That's caused be a failed background
fsck, which is supposed to reset bad link counts after a crash.  If you
check /var/log/messages, you might see something like this:

  PARTIALLY TRUNCATED INODE I=316179
  UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

Try rebooting and letting the bgfsck run again, or boot into
single-user mode and run fsck -p on the filesystem.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com