Redistribution of FreeBSD 5.3

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Feb 24 06:43:38 GMT 2005

Bryan Smith wrote:
[ ...format recovered, please set linewrap preference... ]
> My name is Bryan and I am wondering if I can freely distribute FreeBSD 5.3.

Yes.

> If I can redistribute it, is there anything I need to include with the ISO
> images when I distribute them?

No.  You can redistribute byte-for-byte identical copies of the ISO images
from the ftp.freebsd.org servers if you'd like.

> I read that I need to include the copyright notice.

That's right.  Very probably you will need to include both the BSD /COPYRIGHT
file and the GPL /usr/src/gnu/COPYING file somewhere.  [1]  Of course, the ISO
images come with the files containing the copyright and license text.

> Do I need to include a seperate document for this copyright notice
> (text file or html document) or is the copyright notice in one of the ISO
> images (also, is the copyright notice that I would need to add the one found
> at http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html)?

The ones that come with the ISO images are fine as far as BSD-licensed and
GPL'ed ("GPL-licensed?" :-) software are concerned.  Depending on the version
of FreeBSD and if you include any ports, you ought to consider:

http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/index.html
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/LEGAL

Note that if you modify parts of FreeBSD, especially GPLed parts, you will
likely be obligated to make those changes available under the terms of 3b:

"    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
     years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
     cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
     machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
     distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
     customarily used for software interchange; or,"

...unless your changes are included in source form already.

> Also, is there a limit on the amount I can redistribute?

No.

--
-Chuck

[1]: Or several somewheres, unfortunately:

11-sec% locate COPYING | wc -l
       77

I wonder if anyone has arranged for them to be hardlinks to each other?  :-)