clamd after upgrade to 0.83

greg at grokking.org greg at grokking.org
Wed Feb 23 23:39:20 GMT 2005

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> After doing a portupgrade of clamd from 0.81 to 0.83, the service
> reports that it is not running using 'clamav-clamd.sh status'.
>
> esmtp# cd /usr/local/etc
> esmtp# rc.d/clamav-clamd.sh status
> clamav_clamd is not running.
> esmtp# ps -ax|grep clam
>  781  ??  Ss     0:10.96 /usr/local/sbin/clamd
>
> However, all seems to be fine, postfix 2.1.5, amavisd-new and clamd all
> seem to be running and Webmin reports them all as running.
>
> Any thoughts or something I should know regarding the upgrading? I
> checked /usr/ports/UPDATING, but nothing regarding this. All conf files
> are reflecting the new settings.

Check access on the relevant directories. By default, clamav runs as
user 'clamav' but amavisd runs as user 'vscan' so the directories where
the pid, socket AND virus database all need to be reconciled to
whichever user you run these as. I use 'vscan' so I pass the CLAMAVUSER
and CLAMAVGROUP this value when I 'make install' clamav initially. Then,
I add these to /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf so that the next portupgrade
doesn't undo it.

Hope that helps,