Is Yahoo! moving from FreeBSD?

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Wed Feb 23 16:41:16 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 14:00, Freminlins wrote:
> "But in December, Yahoo started to port its homegrown infrastructure
> applications from its custom operating system to Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux 4.0, which was in beta at the time and was released last week.
> Plans call for a gradual migration of more applications to Linux, but
> the timing and number will depend on how successfully the early work
> goes, Ng said."
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,99901,00

One of the thing they mention is performance and scalability improving on
Linux, which suggests they aren't talking about it replacing FreeBSD.  My
understanding is that they use FreeBSD 4.x on cheap interchangeable low-end
webservers. I think they use Solaris on higher-end machines.

Having said that, once they start using Linux, I wonder how long they will
want to keep both FreeBSD and Linux.