Is Yahoo! moving from FreeBSD?

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Wed Feb 23 16:20:12 GMT 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:42:14 +0000, Freminlins wrote
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:36:36 +0100, Jorn Argelo <jorn at wcborstel.nl> wrote:
>
> > I don't think that they would. That'll be a massive migration involving lots
> > and lots of costs. They have to pay for RedHat Enterprise too. The only reason
> > I can think off is that they want support.Perhaps I missed a part, but I don't
> > see the word FreeBSD in that article.
>
> Although it doesn't state FreeBSD, I understand that Yahoo! runs
> stuff on FreeBSD.

Yes, I was aware of that :-)

> > Besides, the point of the article is not regarding a migration of Yahoo, but
> > Linux and IT in general. It has nothing to do with Yahoo or FreeBSD. I think
> > that the author of the article is simply mistaking.
>
> I'n not sure I agree with that. The author stated "But in December,
> Yahoo started to port ... to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0" That would
> suggest that Yahoo! is moving to Linux.

Well, I can say that Microsoft is using illegal Warez stuff in their WMA
extension, but who would believe me? I don't have any proof right? Point is,
the author can say something like that, but I've never heard that Yahoo is
migrating. If they would it would definitely be in the news if they would. I'd
like to see a source where the author has gathered information.

> I am very interested in this as I have for several years used the
> argument "we use the same OS as Yahoo!". We're not going to migrate
> to Linux if Yahoo! does.

No, of course not :-)

I vaguely recall a discussion like this on the list in the past. I'll look it
up on Google if I have time.