Is Yahoo! moving from FreeBSD?

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Wed Feb 23 15:34:21 GMT 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:00:31 +0000, Freminlins wrote
> "But in December, Yahoo started to port its homegrown infrastructure
> applications from its custom operating system to Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux 4.0, which was in beta at the time and was released last week.
> Plans call for a gradual migration of more applications to Linux, but
> the timing and number will depend on how successfully the early work
> goes, Ng said."
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,
> 99901,00.html

I don't think that they would. That'll be a massive migration involving lots
and lots of costs. They have to pay for RedHat Enterprise too. The only reason
I can think off is that they want support.Perhaps I missed a part, but I don't
see the word FreeBSD in that article.

Besides, the point of the article is not regarding a migration of Yahoo, but
Linux and IT in general. It has nothing to do with Yahoo or FreeBSD. I think
that the author of the article is simply mistaking.

Jorn.