Questions about ports

Ramiro Aceves ea1abz at wanadoo.es
Tue Feb 22 16:54:29 GMT 2005

> I must have missed the first message.   Easy to do when there are
> several hundred per day.

ok, yes, this mailing list is high traffic and that also happens to me. :-)

> I would cvsup the latest ports collection.  (There is no 5-stable ports
> collection, the same set of ports works for all supported releases,
> which is generally 4.11, 5.3, and -current, though that will change as
> we release.   In most cases ports will work with older versions too)
>
> then install either portupgrade or portmanager
> (/usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade or /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager)
>
> I'm not sure which is better.   I use portupgrade myself, but
> portmanager is more likely to be able to solve this problem.
> Whichever you choose, let it run for a few days (check often though,
> sometimes it sit waiting for you to set some options!).   That should
> get everything up to date.   At least portmanager as the ability to use
> packages if you prefer.
>
> While your machine is slow, I compile everything on a ppro-200, so it
> isn't impossible to compile on your machine.

Ok, thank you very much. As you say,  perhaps I will compile everything, as
I do not need too many packages for this machine. This computer will be
mainly used for browsing the Internet and reading emails, so, I think I can
spend some hours to compile firefox or thunderbird.
I will take a look to portmanager and portupgrade and see what I can do
also.

Thank you very much.
Ramiro.