Deinstalling perl module installed using CPAN

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 16:47:27 GMT 2005

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 02:54:54PM -0500, Ean Kingston wrote:

> > On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 03:55:52PM +0100, BSD todoo wrote:
> >
> >> How to deinstall a perl module (bsdpan-MailTools-1.64) that has been
> >> installed using CPAN ?
> >
> >     # pkg_delete bsdpan-MailTools-1.64
>
> If it was installed with CPAN, it is not in the FreeBSD package database
> so how is a pkg_delete going to uninstall it?
>
> Last time I checked, CPAN did not have an uninstall option. Does anyone
> know any better?
>
> I think you can get an install list out of the source (which might be
> somewhere in ~/.cpan) and remove all the appropriate files by hand but
> this might leave perl in an unstable state.

Not so.  On FreeBSD, the CPAN modules are by default extended so that
any packages installed from CPAN will be registered in the FreeBSD pkg
database, including the list of all of the files installed by that
package.  You /can/ cleanly deinstall packages from CPAN under FreeBSD
-- but don't try this with other OSes.  That's what the BSDPAN stuff
downloaded along with the perl source is all about, and why all those
packages with a 'bsdpan' prefix start appearing...

The thing that's missing from the bsdpan- packages is a package origin
directory -- quite sensibly really, as there isn't any such thing.
That means that things like portupgrade can't deal with bsdpan-* and
you can't use the normal ports means to work out which of those
packages have updates available.  Other than that, bsdpan-* packages
are regular FreeBSD pkgs.

    Cheers,

    Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                      School Rd