Configuring PF

J65nko BSD j65nko at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 02:17:31 GMT 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:18:17 -0700, Pat Maddox <pergesu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've managed to come up with something that works so far.  I am having
> two problems though.
>
> The first is that I can't authenticate for IMAP anymore.  No clue why,
> it just keeps rejecting my password.  maillog shows imapd: LOGIN
> FAILED, that's it.
>
> Also, after enabling pf, all my UDP ports show as open.  I've got a ruleset of
> block in log on $ext_if proto udp all
>
> So all UDP ports should be shown as closed.  Doesn't really make any
> sense to me.  Anyone care to help?
>
> Thanks for the help so far.
>
> Pat

Start with a default policy to block and log all traffic

# --- default policy
block log from any to any

Now you only have to open ports to let traffic in. If you don't know
which port to open for a certain protocol, you can run "tcpdump -eni
pfl0g". tcpdump will show which rule blocked, and on which port
address combination.

=Adriaan=