UDMA ICRC error

Ramiro Aceves ea1abz at wanadoo.es
Wed Feb 16 23:35:37 GMT 2005

Rob wrote:
> Ramiro Aceves wrote:
>
>>I have read that others had this problem before. I
>>just write this report for you to know.
>>
>>When I installed FreeBSD 5.3 R, I get some errors
>>like this, but I could end the install:
>>
>>ad0: WARNING -READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying
>>        request) LBA=5313599
>>ad0: FAILURE -READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
>>        error=84 >ICRC,ABORTED>
>>spec_getpages:(ad0s1a) I/O read failure: (error=5)
>>
>>I have solved the problem disabling DMA:
>>hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
>>
>>(I previously tried disabling ACPI with no success,
>>and playing with BIOS LBA, LARGE, NORMAL settings
>>at the BIOS with no success).
>>
>>Now ad0: works in PIO4 mode and everything is fine,
>>previously , it was UDMA33. Now there are no errors.
>

> There's you and me now. I have this problem with two
> of my PCs. I don't know yet of anybody else who has
> these problems.
>
> It's indeed a serious problem, but too few people
> running 5.3 seem to suffer from this.
>
> Have you tried with 4.11?
> I bet that would not generate these problems.

Thanks, I see that we are not alone!

I have not got a 4.11 CDROM here. I could test it on 4.10 if you think
it is important, I have a 4.10 CDROM here. My internet is too slow to
dowload a full CDROM at home. I can download 4.11 install CDROM on the
computers at University if it worths the effort.

Please let me know.

Ramiro.