ping question

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Wed Feb 16 11:43:22 GMT 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 08:56:49AM -0800, ann kok wrote:
> Hi Loren
>
> Thank you for your mail again
>
> For the monitor sofeware iptraf , I can't get it in
> the port. Why freebsd doesn't support it!
> I tried to install in freebsd from the tarball and got
> an error messages!

Well, the program seems to be heavily based on the low-level network
interface that linux uses and will require a little bit of effort to
port to freebsd.  I use it on one of my linux routers.  I don't think I
have the time at the moment to port it, but maybe this program might be
interesting enough to someone else on this list for them to take the
time.  I can update you if I am able to get anything working if you
want.

> I need sth to prove the traffic to those routers from
> outside.
>
> Do you have experience the max traffic freebsd can
> support? It seems to support max 230M only!

If you have a computer on both sides of the router then you can run a
timed test to see how fast the traffic is.  My ISP runs redhat and gave
me a shell account to use.  The following can be a useful test:

time ssh remote-system dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=10 > /dev/null

That will tell you the time to send 10 megs of data from a remote
computer to the one your running it on.  Make sure you read the real
time, not user or system.  This doesn't take into account other traffic
at the same time, but if it's just occasional webpage access, it may not
be a big deal.  Now this may not be too accurate, I don't know how much
bigger the data gets by doing encryption, so a ftp transfer would
probably be better.