Newbie: BIND conf "file not found" error

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Mon Feb 14 16:41:32 GMT 2005

aklist_061666 wrote:
> Hi Lowell: From the command line it runs fine.
>
> So, are you suggesting that the process doesn't have permissions to open
> the file? If so, wouldn't I see a permissions error message instead of
> file-not-found?
>
> TIA, AK
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lowell Gilbert"
> <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org>

>>> named_program="/usr/sbin/named"
>>> named_flags="-u bind -c /etc/named.conf"
>>>
>>> I get an error on startup:
>>>
>>> Feb 11 14:47:53 ns2 named[275]: none:0 open: /etc/named.conf: file
>>> not found
>>> Feb 11 14:47:53 ns2 named[275]: loading configruation: file not found
>>> Feb 11 14:47:53 ns2 named[275]: exiting (due to fatal error)
>>>
>>> what's wrong with my config-file path parameter in rc.conf?
>>

>> Permisssions?  Try running it from the command line the same way you
>> do from the startup scripts.

I think your problem is related to the fact that when you run named
in a sandbox, the path to /etc/named.conf becomes relative to the
sandbox. So when named flags indicate /etc/named.conf, that file
must actually reside at /your/chroot/path/etc/named.conf.

(keep in mind that this advice is from dim memory of having this
problem over a year ago, and it could be I'm just wrong, but I'm
relatively sure about sandboxing having this problem ;-)

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348