live mirroring

David Robillard david.robillard at notarius.com
Mon Feb 14 14:20:31 GMT 2005

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question. I want to set-up a site on 3 identical FreeBSD
> servers, using Round Robin to distribute the load.
>
> The site will be running some .cgi and .php scripts and when those
> scripts make changes to the configuration files of the sites, they
> need to be spread automatically to the other two servers. Also when
> files are uploaded to one server, I need them to automatically upload
> to the other servers to.
>
> What is the best program to do this? Or am I looking at it the wrong
> way and should I do it different?

Take a look at cfengine: http://www.cfengine.org/  (don't mind the ugly
web page).
This program is used at many very large installations to make sure every
machine
has the right configuration files. Clients query a master at each
interval to check
if their configuration has changed. Thus instead of having to log on to
each machines
to change the configs (which is error prone, not to mention long and
painfull),
you simply change the file on the master and let it distribute itself.

It's relatively easy to setup and works very well.

Cheers,

David

--
David Robillard