HELP!! sshd permitting password free logins

Gene listmail at Bomgardner.net
Mon Feb 14 05:54:28 GMT 2005

Ean Kingston wrote:

>On February 13, 2005 04:10 pm, Gene wrote:
>

>>I'm running version 5.3 of freebsd.
>>I'm not sure what I did - I was experimenting in sshd_config. sshd began
>>to permit logins without benefit of password.
>>
>>When logging in (I'm using putty from a local windows machine) I enter
>>the user name. I'm presented with the challenge and the password prompt.
>>If hit enter I get the second password prompt with echo on. If I enter
>>anything else to the  first password prompt, or anything (or just the
>>enter key) to the second prompt, I find myself logged on.
>>

>I'm not sure what you mean by a second password prompt. I've never seen SSH
>provide 2 password prompts.

Login accounts use opie. Once the user name is entered, a challenge is
displayed followed by a password prompt. Entered passwords at this
prompt do not echo. Normally, if you enter just a return, another prompt
appears with the notation "[echo on]" and the entered password is echoed
as it is entered.

>>The allow groups directive in the config file works, only members of
>>grp1 get logged on, but without passwords. This was working correctly
>>before I started fooling around -
>>
>>any ideas?
>>

>Check to make sure the user you are logging in as has a password.
>
>Also, check to make sure your ssh client is not sending an RSA key for
>authentication. I think that one is enabled by default. If you want to force
>passwords, make sure you aren't using RSA keys.

If disable RSA keys in the config file, but the problem persists.