Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Sun Feb 13 08:26:56 GMT 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 1:00 AM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC writes:
>
>> I can't think of any time that MS is the best choice, except in
>> perhaps
>> some vertical market cases.  It is often the most convenient choice.
>
> Convenience is reason enough by itself to choose a particular OS.  The
> only people who deliberately choose inconvenient operating systems are
> those with an ax to grind.

In that case, Windows is the least desirable, as it is not convenient.
The amount of crap you have to put up with (viruses, malware, etc)
makes them totally inconvenient.

>> Like the list of software you listed.  Most of that can be replaced
>> with other SW -- especially if you switch to Mac OS X, though probably
>> also to a BSD or Linux solution.
>
> Maybe ... but that won't allow me to read and write the native file
> formats of these applications.

Sure it does.  Apples new Pages.app "word processor" reads and writes
Word .DOC files.  OpenOffice can too.  Maybe not 100%, but very close,
and Microsoft does not guarantee 100% either from version to version.

In most cases, except for customized vertical market solutions, Mac OS
X and probably in many cases also FreeBSD offers solutions that work
with native files.  On OS X, you often HAVE the native program, like
Photoshop, for example.

> I'm trying to find a way to reduce my dependence on expensive and
> bloated applications (which includes most Microsoft applications,
> unfortunately), but there aren't too many options.

There are lots of options for people whose eyes are not closed.

The link published in one of these threads about the Ernie Ball guitar
string company was interesting.  Where there is a will there is a way.
Where there is no will, you get stuck with M$

OK, I am done replying to these threads.

Chad