Freebsd vs. linux

darren kirby bulliver at badcomputer.org
Sat Feb 12 19:41:06 GMT 2005

quoth the David Kelly:

> Look closely at the Linux community and you'll find its mostly
> ex-Windows users focused on what Microsoft is doing. The desire is to
> one-up Microsoft at Microsoft's own game. Their definition of
> "computer" and "human interface" was written by Microsoft and still
> can't think outside of that box.

I think your interpretation here is a tad glib. Sure there are thousands of
people coming to Linux because they 'hate' MS. Sure they don't know gcc from
ppc but I don't think it is fair to call them the 'community', rather a small
subset. Do you think these people are writing any software? Are they
designing programming interfaces? Do they have a damn thing to do with the
development of Linux or any of its supporting software? Hell no. They are
just users clogging up the message boards and mailing lists with stupid
questions. "Human Interface"? Am I missing something? Can you please tell me
where the much superior FreeBSD human interface can be downloaded? In the
console they are pretty much the same keystroke for keystroke, and on the
desktop it is all the same software...

I run FreeBSD and Linux, and I love them both. I am trying to point out that
when you slam Linux developers with pettiness and name calling that you are
no better than all the lusers slamming MS, and thinking they're leet because
they installed Fedora? I have noticed a lot of this on FreeBSD lists, and I
think it is counterproductive because it is unprofessional and in the end
more people using Linux means more people running free software which
benefits _all_ of us...and besides, it is offensive to people like me that
just like playing with 'nix boxes and run both.

Why can't you just run your FreeBSD and feel superior, silently?