make world: HOW CLEAN IS IT?

Colin J. Raven colin at kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl
Sat Feb 12 15:15:52 GMT 2005

On Feb 12 at 06:50, Fafa Diliha Romanova launched this into the bitstream:

> when i rebuild my system to stay up to date,
> does it leave behind many obsolete files to clog up
> my pure system?
>
> i am *VERY* conscious on cleanliness;
>
> does freebsd keep track of absolutely EVERY file
> it creates?
>
> also, do you guys have any tips/tricks on how to do
> system cleanup chores? like scripts, commands etc.?

A resource you may find to be helpful is:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/13
Look for several articles on ports. There are - IIRC - three articles
there which demystify the ports collection as well as some really great
tips 'n tricks.

Also the FreeBSD handbook is helpful when read *in conjunction* with the
OnLamp articles:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

Regards & HTH,
-Colin