Why in the world you should have a vote: was RE: Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo suchas NetBSD!!!

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Sat Feb 12 03:46:07 PST 2005

Ted Mittelstaedt writes:

> I don't see why you are so proud of not doing this.  Is it your
> intention to cause problems for companies that want to use FreeBSD
> in their products?  This sort of thing is exactly what the
> chicken littles like Anthony are talking about.

It surprises and worries me that anyone does it, for precisely the
reasons that you describe.  Should I ever contribute code to FreeBSD,
I'll just assign the copyright, or release the code to the public
domain.  I have to wonder about the motivations of someone who says he
wants to contribute to a Great Cause but then insists on retaining his
copyright.

Remember that in some jurisdictions, copyright reverts to the author
after a certain number of years, no matter what he says to the contrary.
This includes the U.S.; see 17 USC 203.

--
Anthony