Freebsd vs. linux

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sat Feb 12 11:38:51 GMT 2005

Ramiro Aceves wrote:

> I although have observed that in this list, some of you hate Linux.
> I have never seen insults to FreeBSD in the Debian e-mail lists. They
> some times talk about some experiences about FreeBSD, but never say
> things like " such crap FreeBSD ......" as I have heard here many times.

I have a friend who refused to touch BSD because "BSD sucks". In any way
FreeBSD didn't behave as Mandrake, it was because "BSD sucks". Why isn't
it bash? why isn't it vim?, etc. And you have the endless posts, "BSD is
dead", you have the endless flames on which licence is superior. etc.

Within the Linux community you will find people who will respond to any
problem, "just use <this distro>, I use it, and it solves exactly your
problem on <that distro>". I can't count how many times I have heard,
"Mandrake is the RedHat that works", "use Debian, then you don't have to
worry about dependencies", or "use RedHat, you want business, right?",
"yeah, I tried <that distro> too it sucks" ... etc.

I think that regardless of your choice of OS, you will allways find
passionate people arguing why their OS/distro is better, and most have
some valid points - but do these points apply to you?

Obviosly, I use FreeBSD because I think it is the best, why whould I
choose a product I think is inferior? It really doesn't make sense to
ask this sort of question unless you clearly define the criterias.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt