Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such as NetBSD!!!

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Feb 11 05:00:59 PST 2005

On Feb 11, 2005, at 2:18 AM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt writes:
>
>> That is so not true that it makes me almost as angry as the original
>> debate.
>
> Maybe getting angry about a mere logo is a bad sign.

Just to sum up things as I understand it...

People want to change the logo from Beastie to something else because
Beastie isn't professional enough, so some committers decided to hold a
contest for a new logo?

Out of curiosity, is Beastie so terrible, a logo, that a business would
be stupid enough to base their server decisions based on it?  Would you
care if a business were that dumb...would you actually *want* them
using it?

Someone said people change logos all the time.  That's flat out wrong.
When a company spends mucho dinero on marketing their logo, they don't
just flip around and decide to change their logo that they spent so
much money and time getting mindshare with.  Have any examples of logos
that have constantly changed?

Windows' logo isn't even a logo.  It's a flag of a window pane falling
apart in the breeze.  I associate windows with broken glass.  These
things don't seem to hinder Windows from getting massive market share.

Since when did FreeBSD, a project always driven by volunteers and not
by commercial matters, suddenly gain a marketing department that is
trying to steer FreeBSD into the business sector?  Is FreeBSD starting
to have marketing dictate technology instead of technology dictate
marketing?

Or is this all some sneaky way of saying that Beastie is too much like
the Devil and this new logo contest is a way to slip out the
connotative Beastie with some other more politically correct symbol,
like the drive in American classrooms for Intelligent Design to be
taught in science classes ("It's not Creationism! It's not Creationism!
  It's *science*...")

Just asking, since I was largely ignoring the thread but got curious
after so MANY posts were made about the topic.