Logo Contest

Garance A Drosehn gad at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 10 19:29:43 PST 2005

At 8:13 PM -0500 2/10/05, Mike Hauber wrote:
>On Thursday 10 February 2005 05:49 pm, Technical Director wrote:
>>  On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>>  > No.  While Beastie is cute and well executed, it's not
>>  > professional graphic art.
>>
>>  Here here...
>>
>>  Rob.
>
>I have two questions.  These are not accusations, but questions
>and I don't want accusations in response.

At first I was going to skip over these questions, since they
have been touched on in some other replies I have written. But
I can't help but thinking that you're going to say "SEE!  I TOLD
YOU THEY WOULDN'T GIVE ME AN HONEST ANSWER!  THEY MUST BE HIDING
SOMETHING!".

>1.  Why was this so hush-hush (ie, Why was it "leakable" (ie,
>     why the secrecy, if FreeBSD is supposed to be a project
>     where everyone can take part in?)))

As noted in other messages, this isn't as hush-hush as a few
people are making it sound.  We're talking about a public web
site.  The "first draft" of that web site was put up, and then
all the committers were asked to look at it.  It is only
"hush-hush" in the sense that we wanted committers to proof-read
it and agree on it before opening to the public.

>2.  Does Apple have, or has Apple had anything to do with
>     this decision (and if so, then who, how and why (or is
>     the answer to that supposed to be "hush-hush" too))?

I am one of the committers who are interested in this logo
contest, just to see what logos people can come up with.  I had
a great idea for a logo a few years ago, but I never could get
a picture that looked as good as the idea seemed to me.  That
idea never went anywhere.

Apple, as a company, has had no input to this.  Apple really does
not care enough about Unix to even care *what* the FreeBSD project
does for a logo.  Apple has their own operating systems, their own
logos, and nothing we do is going to effect them.

Apple hasn't contacted me.  They haven't offered me anything.
They also haven't threatened me in any way.  Chances are mighty
good they don't even know that I exist.  However, I am one of
the developers who thinks that this logo contest is a good idea.
If Apple is supposed to be bribing me for my own opinion, then
I sure wish they'd contact me so I could tell them where to
mail the checks to.  But they are strangely silent...

>If someone out there is honest and forthcoming, we'd all like to
>know the answers to this...

How many statements do COMMITTERS have to make before you stop
implying that we are "dishonest"?  Dishonest in what way?  I know
I know:  you're not making any accusations.  You're simply asking
if we have stopped beating our wife yet.  I'm glad you're not
making any accusations.  It would be so much less friendly if
you were making accusations.

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org