SQL Questions

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Thu Feb 10 16:01:02 PST 2005

On February 10, 2005 06:42 pm, Sean wrote:
> I would like to install SQL here for my own use, not for any real life
> currently, round now for learning.
>
> Right now plan to install MySQL.
> Looking through the ports there is numerous version and some say for
> server, some say for client.
>
> Looking for some tips as to what version of SQL and tools to install?

If you want to play with an SQL server, you are going to need one of the
mysql-server ports/packages. Since this would be a new install for you and
you don't really have any requirements I would suggest going with the newest
production version (not a development release). The client is included with
the server.

In a production environment, the client would often be installed on many
systems but the server only on a few.

> Also wondering if anyone can point me towards documentation in my
> learning efforts?

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
http://www.mysql.com/

SQL servers are complicated things. Read through the documentation, follow
examples and try them out for yourself.

--
Ean Kingston

E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org