Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo suchasNetBSD!!!

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Feb 10 03:40:10 PST 2005

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt writes:
>
>> Yep, I was wondering how long it would take before someone figured
>> this one out.  We know the real rea$on$ that this logo change is
>> being contemplated, don't we.
>
> Personally, I wonder how FreeBSD survives based exclusively on
> volunteer efforts.  It's a noble idea, but in the real world, things
> cost money, and people need to earn a living.  Something that
> survives exclusively from the kindness of strangers leads a fragile
> existence.
> FreeBSD has a
> large following and seems reasonably stable, but when something is a
> volunteer effort, the larger the following, the better.

This depends on your definition of survival.

As long as FreeBSD runs on some hardware, and people still use it,
it's surviving.  The only real issue I see to FreeBSD's survival
that requires corporate attention is device drivers for new hardware.
And this is an issue that harms all operating systems even Windows.
There are just as many older versions of Windows being made unrunnable
by new hardware that lacks drivers for it, as BSD versions.

but beyond this, the computer industry itself is in a real growth
slump anyway.  The 8080 IBM PCjr architecture is still at the core
of new PC hardware.  What growth we are seeing is the increasing
commoditization of hardware.  Unfortunately this is stunting the
introduction of newer and possibly better ways to build a computer,
all it does is just make the hardware cheaper and cheaper, and
less and less innovative.  (not that I'm complaining about the
cheaper part, of course)

Ted