Error 29: Disk write error while installing GRUB

Leonidas Tsampros ltsampros at upnet.gr
Wed Feb 9 19:29:10 PST 2005

Hello,
	I succesfully installed the grub port. I'm using 5.3-STABLE
and i tried to install grub as my boot manager. I'm currently using
windows,linux and freebsd.

My hard disk configuration is the following:
ad0s1 : my windows partition (ntfs)
ad0s2 : my linux partition (ext2)
ad1s1a : freebsd's root slice

I wanted to install grub in the mbr of the first disk.
Firstly, I copied all thefiles residing in
/usr/local/share/grub/i386-freebsd in /boot/grub

In order to achieve that i used the following configuration file in
/boot/grub/menu.lst :
---
default=saved
timeout=10

#Boot Freebsd
title Freebsd5.3
root(hd1,0,a)
kernel /boot/loader
makeactive
savedefault

#Boot Windows XP
title WindowsXP
root(hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
savedefault

#Boot Linux
title Linux2.4
root(hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/ hdb=ide-scsi
makeactive
savedefault
---

After that, i ran as _root_ the grub cli and entered the following
commands:
----
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
 (hd1,0,a)

grub> root (hd1,0,a)
 Filesystem type is ufs2, partition type 0xa5

grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/ufs2_stage1_5" exists... yes
 Running "embed /boot/grub/ufs2_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  15 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
 Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0)1+15 p (hd1,0,a)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"... failed

Error 29: Disk write error
---

As you can easily point out, there is a failure in the last part of
the installation. Are there any suggestions about it ?

Please any replies to be cc'ed to ltsampros at upnet.gr as i'm not
subscribed to this list.