cracked out floppy install

daniel quinn freebsd at danielquinn.org
Wed Feb 9 09:16:13 PST 2005

On February 9, 2005 12:09 pm, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 02:51:06PM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > >well the handbook says freebsd5 has a minimum requirement of 8mb, so 16
> > >should be fine.  but even if it weren't, you'd think there'd be some
> > > form of useful error message instead of just rebooting.  it just makes
> > > no sense.
> >
> > Interestingly, the Installation Notes for 4.11-R,
> > http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.11R/installation-i386.html state, in
> > section 1.2 Hardware Requirements, "The sysinstall(8) installation
> > program requires 16MB of RAM"
> >
> > Does sysinstall in 5.3 _really_ need half the RAM that 4.11 requires? I
> > find that hard to believe.
>
> No...this has been established elsethread and a PR has been submitted.

you're right.  i found it yesterday.  the installer actually requires more ram
than it takes to run the operating system itself.  i was working from the
assumption that the installer required what the o/s required.  my bad.

i think this weekend i'm just going to transplant the hard drive into another
machine to do the install.  it saves me the headaches that come with floppies
and it'll likely be a whole lot faster.

thanks for all your input though.  as a gentoo guy, i guess i have a lot to
learn about freebsd yet.

--
problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.
  - albert Einstein