cracked out floppy install

Mark Ovens marko at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 9 06:52:48 PST 2005

daniel wrote:
> On February 7, 2005 10:40 pm, Chris Hill wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, daniel wrote:
>> > i've been trying to install freebsd-5.3RELEASE on this old computer on
>> > and off for days now.  i downloaded the floppies, watched the thing
>> > boot and each and every time, it'll get to the little beastie prompt
>> > where it counts down and is *supposed* to run sysinst but instead, it
>> > just reboots!
>>
>> That's just peculiar. Maybe you need more RAM? Couldn't hurt, anyway.
>> The 16M you cite below seems a bit meager.
>
> well the handbook says freebsd5 has a minimum requirement of 8mb, so 16 should
> be fine.  but even if it weren't, you'd think there'd be some form of useful
> error message instead of just rebooting.  it just makes no sense.

Interestingly, the Installation Notes for 4.11-R,
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.11R/installation-i386.html state, in
section 1.2 Hardware Requirements, "The sysinstall(8) installation
program requires 16MB of RAM"

Does sysinstall in 5.3 _really_ need half the RAM that 4.11 requires? I
find that hard to believe.

Mark

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0506-0, 08/02/2005
Tested on: 09/02/2005 14:51:07