Generating Backtrace on FBSD 5.3

Miguel Mendez flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org
Tue Feb 8 07:40:16 PST 2005

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:13:32 -0500
Gerard Samuel <fbsd-questions at trini0.org> wrote:

> Im trying to figure out how to generate a
> backtrace from a core dump of subversion, to send
> to subversion developers.
> What tools are available to read a core dump file,
> to generate this backtrace on FreeBSD 5.3?
> I'm trying to understand gdb, but Im not sure if
> this is what I'm looking for.
> $ gdb -c svn.core

gdb /path/to/svn svn.core is what you want. But for that to be useful
you need a svn executable built with debugging info. This can be done by
building the port with CFLAGS having the '-g' option and STRIP set to
null, so you don't lose that info while installing.

(deinstall svn first)
e.g.: cd /usr/ports/devel/subversion && env CFLAGS="-g" STRIP="" make
install

Then try to reproduce the error and run gdb. Once in gdb use the command
'bt' to get a backtrace.

Cheers,
--
Miguel Mendez <flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org>