Installation does not start

MatejBadalič Matej.Badalic at volja.net
Sun Feb 6 07:59:47 PST 2005

Hi!
I'm new to FreeBSD and I need some help!
I have tried to install FreeBSD 4.11 and 5.3, but with both I wasn't
successfull! I want to try how FreeBSD works so I have tried to install it on
an older computer, maybe is this the cause, but I have read that you can
install it on an i484 with 16MB of RAM or similar.

My system is:
100MHz AMD K5
1,7GB disc
48MB RAM
1MB video card
8x CDROM
SB16...
On that sistem I have already RedHat Linux 7.2 which I don't use...

As I said I have tried with the 4.11 and 5.3 RELEASE of FreeBSD. Both were
unsuccessfull. Here is a description what happened:

######################
- with the 4.11 RELEASE:#
######################
1.) First I have tried to boot from CDROM but the following happened:
BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard

int=0000000d ...
eax=0000ffff ...
esi=0000003d ...
cs= f0000....
cs: eip= 00 00 00...
ss: esp= ff ff ff...
BTX halted
(the upper lines were full of "00", "ff" and similar characters - I haven't
transribed all the lines to the end)

2.) Next I have made the boot/installation floppies. I put the first
diskette(boot.flp) in the drive and I got this:

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS 639kB/48128kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revison 0.8
(root at ....)
/kernel text=0x289d91 data=0x301170+0x32d04 zf_read: fill error

elf_loadexec:archsw.readim failed
can't load module '/kernel': input/output error

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel] in X seconds... (--> here I haven't touched anything and I
got the next line)

/kernel text=0x289d91 data=0x301170+0x32d04 zf_read: fill error
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
ok

#####################
- with the 5.3 RELEASE:#
#####################
1.) Also here I have first tried to boot from CDROM but the following
happened:

CD Loader 1.2
Building the boot loader arguments
Read Error: 0x01
Could not find Primary Volume Descriptor

2.) Next I have made the boot/installation floppies. I put the first
diskette(boot.flp) in the drive and then the other two diskettes:

I came to the menu where I'm asked to make the partitions:

In the next menu you will need to set up a DOS-style ("fdisk")
Then I hit Enter an get this:

No disks found! Please verify that your disk controller is being properly
probed at boot time. See the Hardware Guide on the Documentation menu for
clues on diagnosing this type of problem.

At the end I have these questions:
Has anybody installed FreeBSD on an older (similar to my) system?
How do I know (see) if the disk controller is being probed at boot time in
FreeBSD?

Any suggestions highly appreciated,
Matej