repost of boot issue on 5.3

J.D. Bronson jbronson at wixb.com
Sat Feb 5 16:50:19 PST 2005

At 06:41 PM 2/5/2005, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
>On Saturday 05 February 2005 05:20 pm, J.D. Bronson wrote:
>
>Hi J.D.
>
>As I read what you've said above, it appears that the problem is that
>you don't have a boot manager installed on the hard drive. The manual
>says that for what you have - one hard drive, only FreeBSD - you don't
>need the FreeBSD boot manager. However, if you did have the FreeBSD
>boot manager installed, it would boot up the way you want. Mine does.

>On the other hand, how long are you waiting before becoming impatient
>and hitting return?

> > >This might give you a few ideas. :)
> > >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/boot-block
> > >s.html#BOOT-BOOT1
> > >
> > >Chris
> >
> > I tried this (even tho a full install it SHOULD not be needed) and I
> > still get the same darn thing. I am really disappointed as I dont
> > know why its hanging.
>
>When you first set it up, did you make the drive bootable, then select
>no boot manager?
>
>--
>Donald J. O'Neill
>donaldj1066 at fastmail.fm
>
>I'm not totally useless,
>I can be used as a bad example.

I just created a PR on this issue. It has to do with whether or not the 2nd
IDE channel is enabled -or- if there is a drive on it.

When I did the install - I selected the MIDDLE option "Install a standard
MBR" as I usually do.

This is really weird. I never have seen this before. Maybe someone else has.

Here is the description of my PR:

Using 5.3 release is when I 1st noticed this. CVSup to 5.3-STABLE does not
fix this trouble.

If both IDE channels are enabled and they are all set to AUTO/AUTO for
master/slave and there is no drive (yet) installed to IDE channel2, the
machine hangs at boot. If I install a drive to IDE channel2, the machine boots.

If I disable IDE channel2, the machine will boot.

When it hangs, all I see on the console is:

FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
boot:

...if I hit <return> at this point, the beastie menu comes up.
The machine will NOT boot on it's own.

--
J.D. Bronson
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA