Within X, how can I see console messages?

John john at starfire.mn.org
Sat Feb 5 08:40:24 PST 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 02:51:34AM -0800, Loren M. Lang wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:01:06PM -0500, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> > I know I can Control-Alt-F1 to go back to the console, but is there a way to
> > see these messages in an xterm or something?
>
> In addition to xconsole, there is a command dmesg which outputs the last
> 4k of messages.  I run it if I suspect a problem and didn't have
> xconsole running.  dmesg|tail helps limit the amount of messages.

OK - I have the opposite problem.  I have xconsole being started
by xdm, which I like - that way I have the console messages visible
even if no-one is logged in, and that's good.

My problem is that kde notices that I have an xconsole, and wants
to start one on it's own when I log in.  The one xdm starts is
persistent, though, so when kde tries to start it, too, and I always
get one "xconsole <2>" that says "Console log for "[host] twice.

I'm using kde 3.3.2 and I don't remember this happening with
some previous versions.

I wasn't going to bug anyone, as everything works ok, and this is
really just a minor annoyance, but since the subject of
xconsole came up, I thought I'd ask.
--

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG