mplayer vs xine

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 17:50:12 PST 2005

Jacob S wrote:
> I like mplayer for cli stuff and xine for gui.
> Mainly because the cli stuff I do is downloading and
> converting streams from wma/rm to wav/ogg/mp3, etc.
> and I use the gui for watching videos and such.

How do you convert realmedia to other formats with
mplayer?
Or maybe first: how do you play realmedia streams
with mplayer?

I have installed:
   mplayer-gtk2-0.99.5_6
   linux-realplayer-10.0.2_1
   win32-codecs-2.1.0.p5,1

I can't play realplay streams with mplayer.
When I do:
   mplayer -vo x11 "rtsp://some.site.com/movie.rm"

I get lots of output in my terminal, among wich I
see:

  Opening video decoder: [realvid] RealVideo decoder
  opening shared obj
'/usr/local/lib/win32/drv4.so.6.0'
  Error: Shared object "libc.so.6" not found, required
  by "drv4.so.6.0" opening win32 dll 'drv4.so.6.0'

But libc.so.6 is in /usr/compat/linux/lib. Hmm, why
is that not found? I then did
   ldconfig -m /usr/compat/linux/lib

That helped. I started mplayer again, but then
mplayer crashed, as follows:

[...snip...]
Opening audio decoder: [realaud] RealAudio decoder
opening shared obj '/usr/local/lib/win32/cook.so.6.0'

MPlayer interrupted by signal 10 in module:
init_audio_codec
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your
  drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault,
  please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the
  instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when
  reporting a possible bug.

Any idea why I've got such problems with mplayer
and real video streams?

Thanks.
Rob.