mplayer vs xine

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Fri Feb 4 16:27:03 PST 2005

On 02/04/05 04:20 PM, Jacob S sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 23:08:02 +0100
> Gert Cuykens <gert.cuykens at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:44:04 -0600, Jacob S <stormspotter at 6texans.net>
> > wrote:

> > > I like mplayer for cli stuff and xine for gui. Mainly because the
> > > cli stuff I do is downloading and converting streams from wma/rm to
> > > wav/ogg/mp3, etc. and I use the gui for watching videos and such.
> > >
> > > Xine won't do the stream conversion that mplayer can, from what I
> > > have seen. And I prefer the layout of the controls on Xine better
> > > than Mplayer.
> >
> > Is there not a mplayer fork for a better gui ?
>
> Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. Mplayer already has a nice gui,

That is if you can get that gui to work.  It's always crashed for me,
but I use it from the command line a lot.

> I just prefer the layout of xine better. But you don't have to take
> my word for it - install both of them and see how you like them.

I think I'll check out xine.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Without freedom of choice there is no creativity.
    -- Kirk, "The return of the Archons", stardate 3157.4