Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Feb 3 00:24:21 PST 2005

I would bet 10 to 1 that he's installing an application that already
is designed NOT to use the mysql root user to access it's database.
This is a case of someone who isn't understanding the design of
the app he's setting up.  It worked only because he was running an
out-of-box sql server install which had nothing for a root password.
He probably misread the instructions and used root instead of the
username that he was supposed to use.

> since most
> php scripts read the username/password information in clear text on a
> nobody:nobody read filesystem. IOW other people can read your files.

Do you run php database driven apps on the same server as you use to
provide shell services?  I don't.  If the webserver is configured
right it won't allow remote clients to read the scripts, only execute
them.

Ted