FreeBSD 5.3, Openfiles Limit in login.conf not respected

Matt Rechkemmer tiberius at trancell.org
Tue Feb 1 09:56:18 PST 2005

Hi folks,

I recently setup FreeBSD 5.3R on my P4 2.4 GHz system and have a slight
problem with it not respecting the limits set in /etc/login.conf.  The entry
I've made in /etc/login.conf is below:

bopm:\
        :openfiles=8192:\
        :coredumpsize=unlimited:\
        :tc=default:

Yet when a user with that login class logins in, they're offered a openfiles
limit of 14781 instead of 8192.  In my kernel I've set "maxusers" so FreeBSD
doesn't attempt to auto-tune this setting.

I searched the handbook and the FAQ, but didn't come up with anything useful.

Any help on this, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

--
Matt Rechkemmer
tiberius at trancell.org