6.0-REL && ports/devel/subversion

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat Dec 31 12:09:22 PST 2005

On Saturday 31 December 2005 05:08 am, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:33:21 -0800 Kent Stewart escribio
>
> > On Friday 30 December 2005 11:04 pm, guru at sisis.de wrote:
> > >
> > > with the PANIC's I still have to work out, what's going on; I can
> > > now reproduce them by:
> > >
> > > - booting into normal runlevel
> > > - login as root and than
> > >   # kldload kqemu
> > >   # kldstat
> > >   # su - user --> PANIC
> > >
> > > Any hints on that?
> >
> > Boot to single user and fsck your system. It sounds like you have
> > some bad sectors. If the fsck removed anything you just added such
> > as header files, you could have problems like you saw. FreeBSD will
> > do a background fsck but sometimes you need to do it in the
> > foreground.
>
> I think I did one of the fsck in foreground because it was unable
> to repair the file system and asked me to do it manualy; but I'll
> do it again in single user; I also have now fetched sysutils/memtest
> and will stress the memory because the 1st PANIC occured before
> I had build qemu, ie. I don't think that this is related to that
> kernel module itself; after the memtest I'll do a complete reinstall
> from scratch of the 6.0-RELEASE from CD;

Most of the time, it can not repair a file system with serious errors
when you have it mounted. That is why you boot to single user mode.
FreeBSD does not tolerate HDs with bad sectors.

You would have to really mess up your install for a reinstall to help. I
usually joke that a reinstall only helps on Windows :). I always choose
the typical install because that has been tested the most. You can
always tweak a working system but you can have problems when you pick
and choose at the first install.

> > With a release, any panic is important. They just don't happen
> > unless something is wrong. Portupgrade or portmanage can reduce the
> > chances of building modules out of order. If you build them
> > manually out of order, problems like the one you saw with neon can
> > happen.
>
> I did not do that, I've just installed 6.0-RELEASE from the
> distribution CD-ROM and after the primary installation procedure I
> went to /usr/ports/x11/kde3 to make the desktop KDE and meanwhile
> that I was copying my files from my home dir of the old notebook
> (only userland files, nothing in kernel) and this gave the first
> PANIC after some hours;
>
> > If it is software, you can back out ports that you load until you
> > don't have problems.
>
> this time after the installation of 6.0-RELEASE I'll only make
> /usr/ports/emulators/qemu to see if I can reproduce the PANIC
> with the above procedure; we will see...

I would still bet on hardware errors but anytime you make a bet you can
be wrong. When you find what was causing the problem, you can say
"¡Ahh!" :).

> I'm not in hurry, because the old notebook is still alive...

I seriously belive in having a back up until everything works. When you
have a backup and something dies, you still have the back up. One of
anything can translate in to nothing works when you have trouble. I
have 3 email addresses and if almost nothing works I have hotmail on 5
computers. I can only deal with the interface for 5 minutes or so until
I mess up something.

> Thanks for your hints so far. ¡Qué tengas buen Fin del Año!

De nada :). It is a day to listen to CDs de música latina that I have
worn out playing them in my car. Right now La 5a estación is playing.
After them, I will play Elefante.

Kent
Feliz Año Nuevo

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

"Nunca te acostarás sin saber una cosa más"