getting sound

Roshan rbhurtha at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 10:37:25 PST 2005

On 12/30/05, eoghan <freebsd at redry.net> wrote:
> Hello
> I have followed the manual page here for sound setup:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-
> setup.html
> Im using freebsd 6.0 with generic kernel.  Im not sure what sound
> card came with my dell (its 3 years old).
> So i did:
> #kldload snd_emu10k1
> #kldload snd_driver
> then:
> #cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371-B> at io 0xec40 irq 11 kld snd_es137x(1p/1r/0v
> channels duplex default)
> This is my first time trying to get the sound working. I try play an
> mp3 ans dont hear anything. Perhaps using the snd_driver wont work in
> my case...
> Is there a way to get freeBSD to show my sound device so I can load
> the correct module? Or is there something else im doing wrong?
> Thanks
> Eoghan

if you play an mp3 using a non-kde app, like mplayer or mpg123 , it
will not play in my experience. artsd monopolises the sound device.
what you have to do is kill the artsd, then you can play mp3's using
mplayer or xmms or mpg123.

command to kill artsd:

# killall artsd
then try playing your mp3....