Installation of linux_base on 6.0-RELEASE-p1

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Dec 30 07:11:42 PST 2005

Leslie Jensen <leslie at eskk.nu> writes:

> I've installed the linux_base but later found out that I needed the
> linux_base-8. I did a make deinstall for the linux_base and then I
> tried to install the linux_base-8.
>
> cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8
>
> make install clean
>
> ===>  Installing for linux_base-8-8.0_10
> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> ===>  Checking if emulators/linux_base-8 already installed
> kern.fallback_elf_brand: 3 -> 3
> redhat-release-8.0-8.noarch.rpm
> glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.i386.rpm
> glibc-2.3.2-4.80.8.i386.rpm
> setup-2.5.20-1.noarch.rpm
> filesystem-2.1.6-5.noarch.rpm
> basesystem-8.0-1.noarch.rpm
> libattr-2.0.8-3.i386.rpm
> libacl-2.0.11-2.i386.rpm
> libelf-0.8.2-2.i386.rpm
> bzip2-libs-1.0.2-5.i386.rpm
> termcap-11.0.1-13.noarch.rpm
> compat-db-3.3.11-2.i386.rpm
> db4-4.0.14-14.i386.rpm
> gdbm-1.8.0-18.i386.rpm
> glib-1.2.10-8.i386.rpm
> libtermcap-2.0.8-31.i386.rpm
> bash-2.05b-5.1.i386.rpm
> bzip2-1.0.2-5.i386.rpm
> compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.110.i386.rpm
>
> file /usr/lib/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so from install of
> compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.110 conflicts with file from package
> libstdc++-2.96-110
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8.
>

> I need to solve the conflict with libstdc but I can't find information
> on how.
>
> I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

That's a confusing error message, all right.  Or maybe I just need
more coffee...

Okay, it looks like RPMs for compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.110 and
libstdc++-2.96-110 are banging into each other.  The latter is
probably from linux_base and the former from linux_base-8.  At a
guess, removing the linux_base port didn't go well.

Maybe removing the linux packages (use pkg_delete(1) rather than "make
deinstall", as it will not be confused if you update your ports
skeletons) and cleaning /usr/compat out thoroughly is the way to go.
That would take a lot of time, though; first try figuring out whether
any port actually owns the conflicting file, and if not, remove that
by hand.

Good luck.
		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/