How do I get gdbserver for FreeBSD 5.4?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Dec 30 06:49:13 PST 2005

Paul Marciano <pm940 at yahoo.com> writes:

> I am using FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE and would like to use
> gdbserver, but I can't find it.
>
> The source tree has gdbserver in two places:
>
> /usr/src/contrib/gdb/gdb/gdbserver
> and
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/gdbserver

The sources are actually in the second; the first is just build
infrastructure.  Note that they're not hooked up to the master build;
David O'Brien removed them from the makefiles in 2002, apparently as
part of bringing in the Gnu binutils 2.12.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/Makefile

> There's also a gdb6 in /usr/ports/devel.

Yes, but that doesn't include gdbserver either.

> The installed gdb says its version 6.1.1, and it looks
> like the /usr/src/contrib/gdb tree is also 6.1.1, but
> there's no configure script or Makefile.  Is this tree
> a patch for the usr/ports/devel/gdb6?

No.  It's the sources for gdbserver, but not ported to build on
FreeBSD.

> I'm a bit lost right now.  I hope someone can help me
> find my way.

gdbserver isn't currently ported for FreeBSD.  If you really need it
(as opposed to some other form of remote debugging), you could
probably best get started by asking obrien for hints.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/