Java Server Pages

Jon Brisbin jon.brisbin at npcinternational.com
Thu Dec 29 13:02:29 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 20:38 +0000, Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:
> hi,
>
> apart from apache, what sort of things do i need to get JSP (java
> server pages) working? (maybe, do i need to manually install tomcat on
> top of apache?)

It doesn't actually work that way. You install Tomcat, Jetty, JBoss,
Resin, or Enhydra (the top choices for JSP/Servlet containers)
*alongside* Tomcat. You then either access the Tomcat server on it's own
port (http://your-server:8080) or you install mod_jk in Apache and map
certain URLs or patterns to your servlet container.

We use JBoss, but if you're just looking to do plain JSP, you can get a
tar-gz'd archive of tomcat and unzip it onto your BSD box. It's not
necessary to install it from ports.

Jetty and Resin seem like faster application servers, but I've had more
trouble getting them configured than I have Tomcat. Maybe that's because
I started with Tomcat back in the JServ days and am just more familiar
with it.

Good luck.

Jon Brisbin
Webmaster