Harddrive size being reported incorrectly?

Travis Poppe tlp at liquidx.org
Thu Dec 29 11:32:13 PST 2005

On Thursday 29 December 2005 12:22 pm, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> > Now, I understand that harddrive manufacturers measure things differently
> > (1000kbytes per gbyte rather than 1024, or something like that) than
> > expected, but I've been told by a few people that I should be getting
> > around 305-312GB of available space after the drive has been formatted.
>
> They didn't do their arithmetic.
>
> When you slice and partition the drive, there will likely be a handful
> of sectors that don't round out to an even value so those are dropped.
> Then, when you do the newfs, some space is taken by the spare superblocks
> and finally the system reserves 8%.     So, I would say you are getting
> it all.

289GB is before the 8% reservation. I actually turned that off with tunefs.

Thanks to all who responded so quickly, makes me feel better about filling the
drive up. Wanted to verify this before using the drive as to not end up
having to re-newfs it in the future to gain back any possible unused space.

Thanks,
--
Travis Poppe
IRC: tlp @ irc.freenode.net