New IDE drive in old PC

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Dec 29 10:01:51 PST 2005

Chris Whitehouse wrote:
>> On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 22:12, Robert Ames wrote:
[ ... ]
>>> The new disk will be just for data.  If this will "just work" how do
>>> I configure the BIOS so the PC will boot with the large drive installed?
>
> I presume you mean GB for size. I just plugged a 250GB drive into a PIII
> 500 Supermicro board. The bios thinks it is 8GB. I get No Rom Basic if I
> try to boot. I also tried it as an external USB drive and fdisk'd and
> bsdlabelled it as 250GB without problem using FBSD6.
[ ... ]

FreeBSD will use LBA addressing modes, even if your BIOS does not support it.
However, to access a drive above 137GB, your hardware needs to support 48-bit LBA.

However, you can get a PCI ATA controller to do the job which is cheap and
convenient, or simply update your MB to something newer...

--
-Chuck