FreeBSD on IBM Blade Center?

Jonathan Fosburgh syjef at mdanderson.org
Thu Dec 29 08:16:33 PST 2005

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 07:32, Gestur A. Grjetarsson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have IBM Blade with Qlogic 2312 adapters using DS400 SAN
>
> now I have learned that after over 10 years of good FreeBSD experience on
> various sorts of hardware, I can't use FreeBSD anymore as it does'nt work
> on IBM Blade. I have read alot on this problem trying to solve this problem
> and done alot of testing and hacking but without any progress.
>
> so I have two questions:
>
> is FreeBSD going to support IBM Blade?
>
> if it is going to support and work on IBM Blade, can you give me an
> estimation on when it will be ready to run on IBM Blade?

The blade center is a bizarre beast and it is difficult to make the officially
supported Operating Systems work correctly with it.  We had difficulties
making AIX work properly on the JS20 blade, for instance.  With IBM hardware,
it is best to stick with officially supported products.  Sometimes, IBM
doesn't support something for a reason...

I would be (pleasantly) surprised to laern you were able to attach FreeBSD to
IBM storage.  Of course, IBM will provide you with no help in either of
these, and I wouldn't venture to guess if you can do concurrent maintenance
on your DS4000 with FreeBSD running.

--
Jonathan Fosburgh
AIX and Storage Administrator