BSD Question's.

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 26 18:27:46 PST 2005

--- Beech Rintoul <akbeech at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 26 December 2005 07:24 am, Danial
> Thom wrote:
> > --- dick hoogendijk <dick at nagual.st> wrote:
> are
> > >
> > > designed to work with

> with
> > >
> > > firefox but that doesn't

> > > NO site should be designed to work with
> > > IExplorer. I know it's done, but
> > > it should not! Why do we have W3C? If we
> could
> > > all just do things "by
> > > the book" the internet would be a much
> nicer
> > > place to visit.
> > >
> > > People who design for IExplorer are bad!
> They
> > > have microsoft in mind and
> > > _not_ the visitors. I hate it when choice
> gets
> > > violated! It should be
> > > called a crime against freedom.
> >
> > No, you're wrong here. You're letting your
> > religious philosophy cloud your business
> sense.
> > You develop to service the highest percentage
> of
> > your expected viewer base. The truth is that
> the
> > vast majority of visitors to most web sites
> are
> > going to be using IE. While using unnecessary
> > features as a primary component of your site
> that
> > ONLY work with IE is foolish, you can't
> > compromise your design just so that it will
> work
> > with the 3% of religious fanatics that refuse
> > install IE on thier machines. Business is
> about
> > numbers, and the numbers say that your site
> HAS
> > to work with IE, and its nice if it works
> with
> > others. I generally test with IE, Firefox and
> > Netscape and I don't care much about much
> else.
> >

> > I have a friend in the travel biz who gets an
> > unusual amount of traffic from AOL, because
> most
> > of his customers are not computer people. His
> > site needs to be well tested on AOL, where I
> > couldn't really give a rat's behind if my
> > commercial site works with AOL or not. You
> have
> > to make sure your site works with the
> greatest
> > majority of browsers available that will be
> > accessing any given site.
> >
> > Its unfortunate that MS does what they want
> > rather than following the standards, but in
> > reality the standards should follow MS,
> because
> > its really the only way to make everything
> work.
> > Much of Microsoft's "extra" stuff is pretty
> > useful and arguably better; its time the unix
> > geeks get over it and stop whining about the
> big
> > bad bully for the good of the big picture. MS
> > isn't going away anytime soon. The truth is
> that
> [...]

Cisco makes their own standards for networking,
and if you want to play in the game you have to
be compatible. It doesn't really matter what the
"accepted" standard is; its the one that *most*
people are using.

A guy I used to work with used to say at least
once a day "The great thing about standards is
that there are so many to choose from". You can
choose to be a hard-ass or you can do what works.
I like to do what works, because thats the best
way to be successful.

DT