what am i doing wrong?!

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Dec 23 21:07:23 PST 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Gary Kline wrote:

> Do I need to have the device for USB 2.0 perhaps??

Only in the unlikely event that it's a USB 2 scanner.  But I thought you
were kldloading the uscanner module, and here you have it built in the
kernel.  Don't do both--although the system shouldn't permit that.

> 	That is the only thing that is still commented.  I'll
> 	try that later on today.  As root, yes, I am able to
> 	have sane test, not as a user.  The scanner I am testing
> 	is recognized--HP ScanJet 4100C.

What do you mean by this, exactly?  You see a message on the root
console?

> But it was sold AS-IS and may well be broken.  My friend got a
> *second* 4100C for $1.00 [no, not kidding]; it works on his Windows
> box.  ((I'll gladly let him scan things if he is willing.))

Have him test the first scanner on his system.