HP Pavillion laptop can't boot FreeBSD

Gayn Winters gaynw at bristolsystems.com
Fri Dec 23 06:34:27 PST 2005

Assuming you've double checked the BIOS version and tried burning the
install CDs on that CDROM drive, I'd try actually installing various
OS's.  Try FreeDOS, any version of Linux, another copy of Windows.  Try
first various bootable CDs (games, diagnostics, etc.) as they are quick
tests. If all can install, then send-pr.  If you get errors on another
OS or bootable CD, then suspect the CDROM drive.  In the meantime, you
might buy yourself a USB floppy drive (handy in any case, especially
if/when you need to update the BIOS) and see if you can boot from that.
The HP support desk will help you diagnose the CDROM drive and with
booting from a USB floppy drive.

Good luck,

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.